Saturday, September 20, 2008

Postscript to Ike

I forgot to mention how we got through 4 days without electricity. The first day we all went to bed when the sun went down. I think we were exhausted from the whole experience.

The second day the kids were bored to tears (literally!). I had thoughts like, "What have we created?" "Can these kids do anything that doesn't require electricity?" "Have they forgotten how to play?" You don't want to know the answers.

So to bring back some normalcy as the sun went down we all loaded up into the car and SAT in the driveway. Steve drew in his sketchbook with the map light on, I read with my map light on and the kids sat in the back and watched movies on the car's DVD player. I can't tell you how much it lifted everyone's spirits. We probably looked pretty silly to our neighbors. But hey, we had to listen to the constant grating drone of their generators for 4 days, we needed the break. I almost missed the little family gathering the night that the electricity came on.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sign the Guest Book

Webkinz Visit Sleepyhead

Chloe and I made this slide show one day when Spike was fast asleep. He didn't move a muscle as she placed her Webkinz, one after another, on top of him. Sorry it's a bit slow, it's the fastest I could get it to go. Enjoy!