A Year Ago today Chloe and I flew to Utah to start our new lives here, while Steve and the boys were driving the moving van.
What I didn't know, a year ago today:
1. I didn't know that the one cat (out of 5) that we brought with us would die of cardiac arrest just a few weeks later.
2. I didn't know how blessed I was to have a church so close to home.
3. I didn't know how hard it would be.
4. I didn't know we could live in such close quarters and be fairly comfortable.
5. I didn't know how good it would be for the kids to start over somewhere else.
6. I didn't know how nice everyone was going to be.
7. I didn't know how hard it would be for Steve and I to get used to depending on each other again. (He lived here 6 months before we all moved.)
8. I didn't know how much I would miss my Mother. (But I had a pretty good idea!)
9. I didn't know how hard it would be to live in an area where the weather isolates you.
10. I didn't know how easy it would be to find a church and love the people there. (If only it were closer!)
11. I didn't know how much I loved a quiet, dark room when I go to bed, until I had to share the bedroom as Steve's office and his long hours of playing games into the night.
12. I didn't know how quickly the kids would grow and mature.
13. I didn't realize that I wasn't ready for them to mature that much!
14. I didn't know I would love the mountains and scenery as much as I do.
15. I didn't know how unimportant so much "stuff" is.
There's still a lot I don't know. Such as what the year 2011 will bring. But here are some things I do know:
1. I do know that God is always with me, wherever I go, wherever I live, whatever I do.
2. I do know that being together as a family is enough.
3. I do know that when I am lonely and missing my family I can call, I can text, I can Facebook. And when I really need to, I can go visit.
4. I do know that even through these hard times Steve and I do love each other.
5. I do know that even though the kids are getting older, I am still their Mom. And that's pretty important in their book, and mine.
So when I think back to that first day in 2010 I have an image in my mind, probably one I will never forget. Chloe and I got to the townhouse and then went to get something to eat at Wendy's. As we sat down with our trays I looked across the table at her and thought, "What are we doing here!?" I cried. I didn't know what to expect, I was scared.
But guess what, we made it.
Valentine's Day - I seem to be jumping back and forth between somewhat current events (2018) and events from last fall in 2017. Now I'm jumping to the not so distant past -...
2 weeks ago